2011. március 28., hétfő

Dutch and Frisian

I'm gonna write some things about the languages spoken in this country, from my Hungarian view.

Dutch:
It resembles a lot to German, so Germans usually don't even have a problem learning this language. Though there are some who still say that it doesn't look like German at all. Then I just say my favourite example which proves that it does look and sound alike: Ik heb gedacht means, I have thought/ I though. In German: Ich habe gedacht.... There is a little pronunciation difference: the Dutch says its 'g'letter in a very weird way: it rattles its the 'g'. I'm not sure about the right word but the point is that it's a hard 'ch'. Almost a 'k'. but just almost. It is typical Dutch. Though in the south, in Limburg mostly, they say a 'zachte ge', a soft 'g'. Here is a song where you can hear the difference. The guy is from Limburg says the soft g, and the girls sing it in a very hard way. In addition, it is a very funny song, if you figure out what the song means, then you can laugh as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzN3CttekBs

Okay, Frisian.
It is also said that it's the old English, although it doesn't look alike at all anymore. And I dont think that English people can understand it either. They also say that it resembles a lot more to German, and they might also be right. For instance: Do hast in Frisian means, you have. You say in German, Du hast..... Or do bist in German du bist...
Dutch people generally canNOT understand Frisian, though if you have lived enough in Friesland, you can understand it after a while. I personally think that Dutch and Frisian are pretty similar, of course they all have their own words, but living here for more than a year already, I can also also understand it pretty well. First I thought, it was also a dialect but now I know it's not.

Dialects:
The small country is Holland, the more dialects there are. Really, people speak in a total different way in Rotterdam, or in Amsterdam. I also have a roommate, who is from Rotterdam, she is a really nice girl, but I really have to pay attention on what she says because I am simply used to the  Dutch which is spoken here, in the North.

Oh, and I must also add that most of the Dutch people do speak English. Though I noticed something: if I ask them, if they spoke English and if they say, yes, I speak very goodf English, they usually dont :D and if they answer that 'a little bit' then they probably speak it pretty well. Though it also makes it difficult to learn Dutch because if they hear that you are from abroad, they will switch to English at once.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése